Friday, April 9, 2010

Special Diets

Special Diets

If you have a health problem that requires a ‘Special Diet’, home canning can be a solution to your problems. Some health problems call for a low-sodium diet. You are canning your own food, if it calls for salt to be added, in most cases, the salt is optional. Don’t put it in or cut down on the amount you use. Either way you can control your sodium intake.

If you can’t have sugar because of a health problem, but love your morning toast and jelly, the problem can be solved with home canning. Controlling sugar in jams and jellies is easy, use pectin that calls for no sugar. When you are shopping for your canning supplies, notice that the pectin companies manufacture sugar-free pectin. The instructions inside the box will walk you through preparing your jams and/or jellies. This is an easy way to control your sugar.

I never realized how much salt and sugar I was eating until I began reading the content labels. And there was no way to get around it, except through home preservation. Sometimes when you are at the store, or get up now, and go look at the content on any of you commercially canned foods (including jams and jellies). I know you will be as surprised as I was. Frankly I don’t know what some of the words that I read are.

No comments: